5.31.2013

Milk Sharing

It’s a pretty niche market. Chances are you haven’t heard of it.

Unless you have had a great abundance or a critical lack, you’re probably not privy to the milk sharing community - breast milk, that is.
Giving birth to a child from a body completely absent of milk ducts (thank you bilateral mastectomy) is a new experience for me, one that has created the dilemma of how I will sustain and nourish this new life.

I do not want my daughter to be any more disadvantaged than my cancer has already made us. I want her to reap some of the great many benefits of breast milk; I want her to be free of the potentially harmful side effects of formula. ...And so begins my jaunt into the community of milk sharing mamas.


I start by researching breast milk banks, the only thing I've heard of at this point. But I learn that most milk banks cater to infants in the NICU, not people like me.

With providential timing my dear friend calls: “I have a really weird question and you don’t have to answer right away. I’ve been thinking about it a lot though,” she begins. “Would you want me to pump milk for your daughter? ...Is that too weird?”
Wow! Amazing! I don’t find it weird.

Okay, maybe it's a little weird. But the kindness, the benevolence, the benefit outshine the oddity. 


Within weeks, one friend becomes two, then three, then six, as word of my need spreads.

I research milk sharing risks and how to minimize them, how to store milk and for how long, how to thaw and prepare the frozen milk.     


When I realize how quickly entire freezers of stored milk will dwindle under the demands of a new and voracious little appetite, I will eventually branch out into the world of milk sharing amongst strangers. I will arrive there gingerly, over time, and with much research.
For now, I am reveling in the blessing that a community of girlfriends can be. I know who the milk is coming from; I know each mama intimately. And I know what amazing friends I have to give my daughter such a precious gift - a gift I cannot provide her myself.

1 comment:

  1. it seems such a common concept to me now. sometimes i forget and speak of milk sharing casually and have to receive the strange looks to remember what an oddity it once was.

    ReplyDelete